PBLNY Final Day

Our third and final day ended with another amazing Keynote Speaker,
Yong Zhao.


Wow! I know I keep saying this, but these speakers have blown me away. I have learned so much from every single one of them.


Mr. Zhao was entertaining, so funny, and informative.
He said we have to get our kids to be "Out of the Basement Ready".
"We don't want them coming back and living with us."

"They need to be:
Psychologically Ready
Emotionally Ready and
Financially Ready."

"When technology transforms ~ education has to catch up."

He talked to us about what jobs are going to look like in the future and what we as teachers have to do about it. If these middle-tech jobs are going to go away, what do we have to do? We have to cultivate children to be creative. What are we doing now? Are we teaching/leading/helping them be the creative people we are going to need in the years to come?

I can't wait to read his book.


If you ever get a chance to see him I highly recommend it!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My break-out session was with Katie Regan.
She knows her technology!!!
I would love to sit and chat with Katie. :)


This session was about Social Media and Project Based Learning.

I would consider myself to be pretty tech-savvy, but I learned a lot more about what I can do with the kiddos and parents in my classroom during this session.


This post is interesting. When Katie asked us how many of our students were on FB hardly anyone raised their hands. (Of course I didn't, mine are 5, 6, and 7, but you never know) I was thinking of my own children. I haven't seen them post much lately. In fact, not at all. When us "old folks" took over Facebook it wasn't cool for them to be on anymore and they found other apps.
Now, you don't have to be worried about all of them. Some of them can be very useful, but we do all have to be aware of these apps they are using that we may not necessarily know about. I sure didn't.

We discussed several apps to use in the classroom and for connection to home and school.
We explored Twitter, Google +, and FB in way different ways I had before.

I am excited to have a FB page (private of course) for my parents. I can snap a photo of the kiddos and upload it immediately for my parents to see what their children were doing that day.

My Twitter is going to stay educational (for the most part). I will still throw in some photos from time to time. I can't resist. :)
@firsties_flock

This is my new thing this summer. I really haven't used it in any real way. I have found some amazing people to follow. There is so much information out there.

There were many more things that Katie shared. I will continue them in another post coming up.
 Too much information!!!

I am so excited PBL!

Have a wonderful day!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments

Back to Top