Snowball Greeting/Responsive Classroom

I use Responsive Classroom in my class. Well, seriously, if you use it in the classroom, you use it everywhere. I can't tell you how many times my husband has said, "I am not one of your first graders. Do they really respond to this?". The answer is YES!!! I cannot imagine what kind of a teacher I would be if I didn't use this. It is me, it is the way I teach, it is the way I am.

The first year I started teaching at my current school. I was sent to RC training. I LOVED every minute I spent in training. You know the feeling....ugh. I have to write my plans out (for FIVE days!!!) I am going to be away from my kids. What is going to happen with the substitute? Well, it was totally worth all of it!

You have to check out their site:
Responsive Classroom

If you already use this, I would love to hear from you. Some different things you are doing, things that work, things that don't work so well. I find myself really having to work more during this time of the year....and who doesn't?


As part of our Morning Meeting, this week our greeting is the "Snowball Greeting". They put their names on paper and crumple it all up and then...get this...throw it into the center. One student begins by choosing a "snowball". They read the name and greet them with their favorite greeting. Then that student does the same thing, until all students have been greeted. I have them put their "snowballs" behind them, otherwise it gets to be a loud crumpling sound by the end of the greeting. At the end, they get to throw the "snowballs" back at me. I think this is their favorite part!

Enjoy your day!

3 comments

  1. Oh that's a neat twist - I just take a crumpled up piece of construction paper and have the roll/slide/toss (however they can get it there) it to somebody (they have to say their greeting first before throwing it so the person is ready to catch). We call ours "snowball fight" greeting. Like your idea but I'm usually running short on time and have to find greetings that are shorter for our MM.



    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do morning greetings all the time and got out of the habit. You've inspired me to start again. I love this idea.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use this greet, and then the kids have to keep an eye out for positive things the person they greeted does during the day so they can say one at closing circle.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top